About Driving Miss Daisy BOP
- Based in Tauranga since 2007, we have five vehicles in the Bay of Plenty. All our vehicles are adapted to make travelling easier for people with reduced mobility. We have vehicles with sliding doors and swing out front seats and, for those in wheelchairs, we have hoists or ramps in three of our vehicles
- Our drivers hold a current P endorsement and first aid certificate and have been police vetted. Most also have backgrounds in caregiving or nursing so can readily assist clients if needed. They have experience with older people, children and those with disabilities.
- We are NZTA licensed, hold a contract with the BOP DHB and are also a registered ACC provider. If you are entitled to subsidised transport services, ask your case manager for us by name.
- In addition to local trips, we can also take you further afield, for example to Auckland, Waikato or Rotorua hospitals or airports.
- We are available for appointments, social activities, outings, shopping and more. If possible, we try to provide the same driver each time you use us.
- Our service is more than just door to door and is ideal for anyone who needs a little extra support. We will accompany you to your appointment if you wish and report back to family or carers; we can help you do your shopping and unpack it for you at home; we will run errands and generally provide whatever assistance is needed. Our drivers love to go the extra mile.
- Monthly invoices sent to family if preferred, to relieve any financial stress
Unfortunately, at this time, Bay of Plenty Regional Council does not allow us to accept Total Mobility vouchers but we are working on this and hope things will change in the not too distant future.
What our clients say about us
Driving Miss Daisy was wonderful when I broke my hand. They drove my grandson to school and took me to my appointments for several weeks. They were always punctual and friendly and I would highly recommend them.
Driving Miss Daisy has been a huge help to my family. We have an elderly dad who uses a walker to get around. When he is out for lengthy periods of time it is necessary for him to use a wheelchair. As we are all working full time, it’s hard to get dad to doctor/dentist/eye appointments. Driving Miss Daisy has taken all the worry out of that for us. They take dad to, and look after/help him at, the appointments and then take him home again, just as we would do. If a wheelchair is required – they provide it as part of the service. Gerard has also taken dad out on occasions during the week simply for an outing to break up his otherwise homebound routine, sometimes enjoying a cup of coffee and scone together at a local cafe. This provides dad with some extra company and interest in the week; and relieves the concerns we have in not being able to do that ourselves. An excellent, warm and friendly service for sure.
Driving Miss Daisy helps our Care Home transport residents to and from appointments and also provides an invaluable escorting service when it is needed. They are always punctual, friendly and efficient and their vehicles are well appointed, safe, colourful and cater for wheelchairs as well. They are a trusted part of our service for our residents and I can thoroughly recommend them.
Sandra, Care Home
Thank you so much for arranging the service Driving Miss Daisy'to pick up (and return) my husband Garry for his appointment today. Garry was able to stay in his wheelchair for the trip and found the vehicle so much more comfortable to travel in than the mobility taxis we have used in the past. Jackie arrived on time with a big smile, was very helpful and went the extra mile to make sure he was comfortable. It was like having a friend take him out only better as the vehicle was suited to his needs. We highly recommend this service to all elderly or disabled people.
Garry and Lee
A lovely lady that is very caring and compassionate. A very reliable driver, that gives me a feeling of safety and security. When we go for a drive she has great control over the van.
The original New Zealand owned Driving Miss Daisy®
© Copyright 2016 Driving Miss Daisy Bay of Plenty Ltd